Maltese
  
FAQs
1. Where is Pembroke?

Pembroke, one of Malta's newest town, is flanked to the North by the Mediterranean sea; the Coastal town of St Julians to its South East and the residential areas of Swieqi and Bahar ic-Caghaq to its South and North West respectively. It has an area of 2.3sq.km and is 6km from Valletta - the capital city, and 12km from Malta International Airport. Population as at 31st March 1999 stood at approximately 2650, 51.3% are males while 48.7% are females. It is estimated that in the near future the population would rise up to the figure of 7,000 residents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Why Pembroke?

Pembroke was named after the 12th Earl of Pembroke and British Secretary of War in 1859.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. What was the origin of Pembroke?

Pembroke owes its origin to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem who built two Watch Towers on its coast, which served as a means of defence for the Grand Harbour due to Pembroke's strategic position. However, the British Services were instrumental in the development and fortification of Pembroke. The first principal barracks were constructed between 1859 and 1862 and were named after England's Patron Saint - St George's. Other barracks were built later and named after Ireland and Scotland's Patron Saints - St Patrick’s and St Andrews. Fort Pembroke was built between 1875 and 1878 to serve two defence purposes, namely to safeguard the seaward approach towards the Grand Harbour and to defend the right flank of the Victoria Lines. Later, Pembroke Battery was built between 1897 and 1899 to serve the same purposes.

Various regiments served in Pembroke and the last soldiers left Pembroke in 1979. During the Second World War, German Prisoners of War were imprisoned in Pembroke and during their stay, built a small chapel which served the needs of the British Services. Since then, all the land which had been purchased by the British Services on their arrival in Malta was handed over to the Maltese Government. For a few years, Pembroke was neglected but in the mid 1980's, the barracks were converted into private residences, offices and a holiday complex. At the same time, the Government issued plots of land for sale and the first residents settled in 1986. During the coming years, Pembroke is set to see a greater influx of residents as a housing expansion programme is under way.

In Pembroke one finds the last large expanses of Karstland left in Malta. Endangered plants are still found in the area, the most important of these is the Thorny Salad-Burnet (Tursin il-ghawl xewwieki). Aleppo Pines (Pinus Halepensis - Znuber) dominate the afforested areas. Three watercourses are found in Pembroke. One runs from Triq il-Mediterran through Pembroke Ranges to the South of "il-Ponta I-Irqieqa" near the Reverse Osmosis Plant rooms. Another is found to the Eastern extremity of the Great Fault to the North of Madliena Tower and the Escapement known as "Id-Dahar". The last and most known watercourse is Wied Harq Hamiem to the South of Pembroke, leading to St George's Bay In Pembroke nowadays we can still find various historical sites namely Barracks, Clock Towers, Defense Towers, Pembroke Fort, Pembroke Battery and vast areas of unspoilt countryside.

The Pembroke community is very active both in socio-cultural and religious activities. IN Pembroke you can find a concentration of various sports clubs and other local organisations that keep united the community in all walks of life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. What is the Pembroke Local Council?

By virtue of the Local Councils Act (1993) Pembroke was one of 67 localities to have its own Local Council. The first election was held on Saturday 19th March 1994. The Pembroke Local Council is the local government responsible for the up keeping and maintenance of the locality. Its main offices are at Alamein Road. The elected branch of the council is made up of the Mayor, the Deputy Mayor and three Councillors whilst the executive branch is headed by the Executive Secretary together with two full time officers.

Go To TOP

Copyright 2004
Disclaimer
Privacy Policy
Help
FAQs
CIMU
GOV.MT
Created by Liquid Studios Ltd.